Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Crazy Times!!


Wow…like I don’t even know where to begin. The past week has just been a…a…I’m trying to think of a word, but even to call it a whirlwind of activity would be putting it mildly.

I guess I might as well start with the opening night party. That was a blast, there were DJ’s and live bands, the cast from one of the two shows about women sword fighting in their birthday suits started doing a line-dance to the music playing, and that was just the beginning of the shindig, even before the sun went down.

I got to catch up with a number of friends which were involved in productions, and meet artists I’d been in communication with regarding images for the guide, web, and PR. Although the marketing portion of my internship has died down a bit, the press has kicked into full gear.

I had mentioned Google Alerts in a previous entry, but it is both a blessing and a curse. There is still a good amount of review I have to do through the articles that are sent to me because, especially with regards to economic stories, there are a large number of articles with the words “capital” and “fringe” which have NOTHING to do with the festival.

As the press intern, I’ve also tried to make sure I see as much as possible without shirking any duties. Part of this has to do with just wanting to have experienced the shows and know what the reviews are talking about, whether I agree or disagree with the critic’s response.

The other part has to do, again, with moving forward with whatever relationship I might’ve developed with the artists (both as an individual and as a representative of Capital Fringe) simply via being the point of contact for their web and guide images. I know everyone on staff has been in contact with them to some degree, but as Fringe is certainly about community, every time a producing artist is able to put a face to a name can’t do anything but help reinforce that community, on both ends, right?

To that end, I still can’t believe I managed to see 8 shows between Friday and Sunday. I won’t tell you what I saw, nor what I’d recommend or not as that is not the purpose of this blog. And yet, as I enjoy the space between weekends, I’m sure last week was only a warm-up for the upcoming ones.

Speaking of the space between, although there aren’t any shows which go on Monday & Tuesday (outside of the Find Your Own Venues), there are a series of workshops and roundtables which make up the Capital Fringe Training Factory.

Topics and skills range from learning how to beat box to discussing solo performance.

I think that’s about it for now…I feel like I’m still catching up from the weekend.

By the way, you’re more than welcome to check out more pics from the opening night party.

Until next week,

JR


Next Week: The second week and what the Capital Fringe Festival means to me as a native Washingtonian…lemme guess: you’ve never met one? :-)